Thursday, January 15, 2009

Training

I went to Boulderz Monday and again today. I was expecting to feel quite good after 2 days off on the weekend. Not the case. I went really hard Monday, but did not climb well, although I did have a great workout. I definitely have lost a lot of power endurance and max power, far more than I expected and it is coming back slower than I thought it would. I also get much more sore than I normally would, even with rest.

I have been doing my push-up/dips/abs/L-sit circuits to try and finish off the nite and it hurt!! Normally its easy. Shocking how a month off sets you back. A week off takes me 3 sessions to get it back. It will be interesting to see how long it takes this time.

I have been having fun trying to do an iron cross on rings. Andrew is showing me correct technique. Without being told what to do I have a tendency to keep my grip closed and cheat with my biceps. With proper technique it is harder, but should allow me more gains and hopefully be easier, once I get more stable. I think the cross and lever are the two most useful gymnastic moves for climbing training and its a blast to work them.

I got quite good at levers last year and saw some large gains, climbing wise, on steep terrain, hopefully with practice I will be able to make use of iron cross training as well.

The other interesting thing I noticed is that I am climbing with much better static movement than normal, I think it is from the rope training I was doing while training for NACC. It really has been months since I have been focused on bouldering and my style has really changed for the first time. I don't have my usual power so I actually compensate with technique. This is awesome when moves are within your limit like rope comps but man it stinks for bouldering! I have to get back to throwing and feet off moves before the end of the month or I am going to get punished. Static technique is great if you can apply it smoothly but trying static moves when a quick pop could do the trick is often a waste of energy.

1 comment:

Zig said...

sore eh? smells like age is creeping up on ya!