Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Tour de Bloc Edmonton


CCC Finals mens 2 in black

This far after the comp I find it hard to motivate myself to write anything about it, but since people keep asking me how it went, I figure I will throw up a post and a few pics.

I unexpectedly finished the work I had in Edmonton early, so I asked Ellen ship me my shoes overnight courier for $90 and drove to Calgary for a Tour de Bloc comp at the calgary climbing center - Chinook. I had promised myself no comps until January, as I wanted to rest the fall to have no injuries for the winter and summer comp season. I really want to have some juice left for summer this year. I have found other years when I do 10 or 12 comps in the fall and winter by summer I am burnt out. This year I want to focus on summer comps in Europe if possible.

Anyway, not really being ready to compete and being out there for work not climbing, meant I had very few expectations, which I think leads to no anticipation, therefore climbing only in the moment. For me this is when I climb the best.

In qualifiers I climbed well and was sitting second without really pulling too hard. Sometimes I find I try harder then necessary in qualifiers and wreck myself for finals. This day I was happy with myself, that at least I climbed smart.

I felt great going out for finals, but it did not go my way this time. Problem one I flashed, but problem two I barley got off the ground. I rarely make full on beta mistakes, but I sure did on #2. I read it wrong and got nowhere at all. Problem three I fell off the final hold second and third try and problem four I made it part way. I ended up 4th. Normally I would be not happy with this at all, but this time the field was very strong, I think the comp had 150 people. Given my lack of climbing prep from traveling so much for work, I am quite happy with the result. I think I can be in good shape for spring if I can stay uninjured. Heres hoping.

Overall I think the Calgary Climbing Center is very impressive, the walls are good, setting great and people awesome. They put on a impressive comp. I gotta say though they need to come to the Maritimes to see how to throw an after party!


Lake Louise early winter conditions


On route to Canmore

No comments: