Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Allez Up


Just back from Allez Up in Montreal. It is the first time I have bouldered to speak of in a long time. It sure showed, I felt awful, pumped, weak and shaky. I don't understand how in such a short period of time you lose so much. It really is a chore staying in optimal comp shape. Too much or too little climbing really throws you off your optimal performance. I find the better climber I become the more I notice subtle changes in performance.

There are 2 tour de blocs on this weekend one in Halifax and one in Burlington at a new gym. I really want to go to Halifax but I don't think there is any way to make it. Before I would always drop everything to go no matter what, but thats not possible right now for the first time in my life. Instead I am just trying to maintain until the NACC Starting Dec 4-7. It will be a huge challenge to stay in shape for that comp with everything going on and all the travel. I am super motivated, but at the mercy of scheduling. At home I can always get to the gym, away it is always challenging. If I get to go it will be a blast!

No expectations, right now is day by day and trying to enjoy each no matter what comes along, that way in hard times even the little things seem great. It a good perspective, yet hard to maintain.

Allez Up is a Neat gym in the heart of Montreal. It is big on rope climbing but the bouldering wall built in 2005 for nationals while crowded has nice angles. The route setters there wish they had better holds to work with they tell me, but they seem good to me. It nice to be able to climb routes I haven't set for a change. Great flash practice.

Here is an old pic from the last time I was at Allez Up for Natioanls in 2005. Finals problem #1, I believe?

No comments: