Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Ug!?

Sore today, not sure if its the inevitable cold I am fighting or the climbing last night after taking a long break?

When it comes to training it makes me wonder what an optimal rest period is, too long seems worse that too little in many ways. I also always wonder if you should train through a sickness, I usually do. Decrease the intensity and duration, but keep up the frequency and difficulty. I find this works quite well for me, but some days I wonder if it keeps me sick longer.

It seems to be about optimization. I don't care that I get a cold I just care how it affects performance. I find I stay sick longer than most, but keep my performance around 80%, where as if I stop completely, I get over the cold quicker, but the period off usually means it takes me an equivalent time to start to feel strong and smooth again climbing wise. So, in the end I find it takes less time to get back to 100% performance, by climbing smart through a cold or flu than to take time completely off and try and make up for it after I am better. Although utilizing this method I do seem to feel the cold symptoms longer, but performance wise its better. This goes against conventional wisdom but really seems to work for me individually.

The other thing I find is cold meds help climb through the symptoms (unwisely for sure) ,but dehydrate me really badly. So, I drink tons of water and OJ.

So tonight, Advil - Cold and Sinus lots of H2O, hot tub and bed early. Tomorrow, climb hopefully.

No comments: