Thursday, December 25, 2008

Ask for what you need, but give what you have

There is a 93 year old Scottish man in the hospital bed next to us for the past 4 days or so. He has only had visitors for a few minutes the entire time he has been here, although he could use help full time. At first he seemed so sweet but as time went on he became cantankerous, most of the time really. However, I figure I would be also, if I was 93 living completely on my own and was forced into an operation.

Ellen and I took him under our wing a bit the first day and tried to do the little things for him, but he was rude and very difficult to deal with, at first in a "he is just old" kind of way, then a "unnecessarily mean because he felt like it" kind of way. Even the nurses lost all patience with him and will only do the bare minimum.

You feel horrible getting frustrated with an old man, but even the kindest lose patience from being abused in the long run. The poor old guy though, you can't help but feel bad for him.

Last night I promised myself I would try again to help him where I could. Today we helped him get his meals prepared and cleaned up and low and behold I think after a few days of not having the kindness of strangers he really did appreciate it and was very polite and thankful. The old fellas family stopped by and brought him some treats today for Christmas which was nice, I just can't believe that they took off almost as soon as they arrived! I just don't understand people, it is as if they don't have any empathy, I don't know how they sleep at night.

Anyway....... as soon as the old man had something to give, he kept trying to give his treats to me, Ellen and others, I was so surprised, as soon as he had something to give, he did. He is not afraid to demand either, but today I saw another side of him.

So the old guy taught me my Christmas lesson for this year: Ask for what you need, but Give what you have.

Thanks old fella, I hope you get to go home soon.

No comments: