Thursday, December 18, 2008

Sleep Deprivation

So, in the last couple days about 44hrs I have only slept 2hrs from hr 32-34 or so and am amazed I am not tired. I forced myself to sleep those 2 hrs as it was. This is horrible for the body and I will sleep tonight well, but it amazes me that when the mind focuses deeply on other things, that it seems to be completely able to ignore natural signals and requirements of the body, at least for the short term.

Sure, I have stayed up longer before, but I definitely recall being tired. This time I was only tired for less than 1 hr of the whole ordeal.

What I learned or at least have proven to myself, is that again perspective, focus and mind control allow you to overcome some awesome natural forces...like sleep requirements?

So, I now think if I do it right I actually might be able to climb nearly all the main routes at my local cliff in one push, sure it might take a while, but if I don't sleep and focus hard, think of the amount I can get in one session, maybe combine this with 24hr northern light and I might be able to do some huge link ups in a push. The possibilities are endless. Think about the fitness training sessions I can get in.

So the question is how to enter into that focused zone at will, when necessity and importance are not actually there. How do you derive that flow voluntarily and regularly?

Maybe I should get some sleep I just reread this and sound like a fool?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

No you do not sound a fool. The is actual research that shows the mind does not produce fatigue. Emotions are generally responsible for fatigue. The stress of a long arduous climb and the uncertainty of success and the physical work responsible for the fatigue. Thus my educated suggestion to attain this goal - hold on to the desire to be doing what you are doing, but let go of the need to 'win' or be successful. The result is not a reflection of you - it is merely a reflection of circumstances.

John Bowles said...

Interesting, well said!