Friday, January 21, 2011

True North

I climbed at True North today for the first time, the newest addition to the Toronto climbing scene.

A view of the main bouldering section.

A view of one section of rope climbing, note the hanging stalactite. Lots of setting going on for this weekends Youth Comp.

I was impressed with the size of this venue. It is huge, well lit and well ventilated. The new school of gyms is a far cry from the dark, hidden away relics of days gone by. These new gyms attract new climbers and families alike, the atmosphere is more like an amusement park then a hardcore training facility. I mean that in a great way, around each corner there is something new and unique to keep you entertained endlessly.

Now, the question is once the novelty is worn off is there something to keep you motivated in the long run, or is the setup just full of party tricks.

Well, True North has done a good job with route setting. There is no question the terrain is great, but the setting is great also.

The wall does lack really steep bouldering terrain, I suppose to cater to the majority, but there are lots of really hard problems none the less. Again, I was schooled by the sandbagging setting crew hahahahahaaha. I will get my revenge next time in though, which I look forward to!

No comments: